The Department of Communication's undergraduate and graduate academic programs embrace a common mission: to fortify the intellectual and social skills necessary for effective human communication. The focus is on oral, written, and mediated communication skills that are essential in both professional and personal lives.
- Stanley Baran - Professor
- Susan R. Baran - Lecturer
- Kristen M. Berkos - Associate Professor
- Thomas Francis Dooley - Lecturer
- Mary Phoebe Lyons - Professor
- Chris R. Morse - Associate Professor
- Kevin Pearce - Associate Professor
- Mary Robins - Lecturer
- Wendy Samter - Professor
- Julie E. Volkman - Assistant Professor
- Thomas Zammarelli - Lecturer
- David M. Beauchamp
- Walter Franco
- Mary Ann Gallo
- Lisa Hunter-Mason
- Brenda L. MacArthur
- Michael Montecalvo
- Dana Nolfe
- Adam Olenn
- Todd Stewart
- Alyce Viens
Stanley BaranProfessor, Communication
Faculty Suite H, Room 2203
MA, Pennsylvania State University
BA, University of Massachusetts
Communication Theory Mass Communication Effects
Mass Media and Social Construction of Reality, Development and Improvement of Media Literacy Skills, Empirical/quantitative Research in Mass Communication
- International Communication Association
- National Association of Media Literacy Education
- Amoco Teaching Excellence Award
- Broadcast Preceptor Award for Excellence in the Literature of Mass Communication
- Emmy Award Nomination
- President's Scholar
- Senior Fulbright Scholar, Germany
- 2018, Merit Award
- 2015, Sabbatical
- 2015, Bryant University Merit Award
- 2014, Understanding China Fellowship
- 2014, Award for Outstanding Service
Baran, S., Preface, Peter Lang Publishing, 2016.
Baran, S., MASS COMMUNICATION THEORY: AN OVERVIEW AND ARGUMENT IN THREE PARTS.
Baran, S., Mass Communication Theory: Foundations, Ferment, and Future, Oxford UNiversity Press, 2019.
Baran, S., Baran, S., Introduction to Human Communication: Perception, Meaning, and Identity, Oxford University Press, 2019.
Pearce, K., Baran, S., Foregrounding Morality: Encouraging Parental Media Literacy Intervention Using the TARES Test for Ethical Persuasion, Journal of Media Literacy Education, 2019.
Stanley, B. J., sole author, McGraw-Hill, 2018.
Baran, S., Introduction to Mass Communication: Media Literacy and Culture, 9th ed., McGraw-Hill, 2016.
Baran, S., Baran, S., Introduction to Human Communication: Perception, Meaning, and Identity, Oxford University Press, 2016.