The teaching and research provided through our department focus upon the critical interpretation, social and historical context, and creative expression of literature and culture. The department cultivates the understanding and skills critical to participation and success in a complex, multicultural and global world.
- Drea Brown - Assistant Professor
- Jeffrey Arellano Cabusao - Associate Professor
- Maura Coughlin - Professor
- Amber Day - Professor
- Janet Dean - Professor
- Cileine Izabel deLourenco - Professor
- William Graves III - Associate Professor
- Theresa A. Hasseler - Professor
- Jennifer Horan - Lecturer
- Steven Jablow - Lecturer
- Martha Kuhlman - Professor
- Matthew Neill Null - Lecturer
- Alex Perullo - Professor
- Thomas John Roach - Professor
- Elizabeth Walden - Professor
- Joan Zaretti - Lecturer
- Scott Alario
- Mary Andersen
- James Beaver
- Ed Brown
- Stephanie Carter
- Nancy Craven
- Amy Foley
- Jonathan Gibbs
- James Gorham
- Donald Holder
- Kenneth Jolicoeur
- Rebecca Karni
- Sean Keck
- Sarah Kruse
- Liliya Krys-Burhoe
- Patricia C. Lange
- Nathan Lee
- David Liao
- Karen A. Maguire
- Sarah H Maitland
- Ryan Marnane
- Maureen C. Masse
- Robin Muksian
- Andrew J. Naughton
- Kristen Park
- Charlene M. Phillips
- Jean M. Plunkett
- Jacob Richman
- Erich Schumacher
- Laura Aguilar-Milano Vares
- Victor Wildman
Janet DeanProfessor, English and Cultural Studies
Faculty Suite J, Room 116
M Phil, Columbia University
MA, Columbia University
BA, Colby College
U.S. Protest Literature and Culture, Native American Studies, American Studies, American Literary Contexts, Writing, Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
The Frontier in American Culture, 18th- and 19th-Century American Literature, Gender Studies, Native American Studies, American Studies
- American Studies Association
- Modern Literature Association
- New England American Studies Association
- Women's Studies Association
- Society for the Study of American Women Writers
- Research Society for American Periodicals
- Humanities Education Research Association
- Society of Nineteenth-Century Americanists
- 2018, Bryant University Faculty Merit Award
- 2018, Bryant University Summer Stipend
- 2017, Bryant University Faculty Innovation Grant
- 2014, Bryant University Faculty Merit Award
- 2012, Bryant University Faculty Merit Award
- 2012, Bryant University Summer Stipend
- 2010, Tomaquag Board Member of the Year
- 2009, Bryant University Learn & Serve Grant
- 2008, Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship
- 2007, Bryant University Faculty Merit Award
- 2006, Don D. Walker Essay Prize in Western American Literature
- 2005, Bryant University Faculty Merit Award
- 2004, Bryant Women's Herstory Month Faculty Award
- 2003, Bryant University Faculty Merit Award
- 2002, Bryant University Summer Stipend
- 1999, Kathleen Gregory Klein Award Nominee
- 1999, University of South Dakota Research Enhancement Award
- 1996, Bancroft Dissertation Award Nominee
Dean, J., Unconventional Politics: Nineteenth-Century Women Writers Protesting United States Indian Policy, University of Massachusetts Press, 2016.
Dean, J., “‘Exil’d murmurings’: ‘The American Hemans’ and the Politics of Displacement", University of Massachusetts Press, 2018.
Dean, J., "Reading Lessons: Sentimental Literacy and Assimilation in Stiya: A Carlisle Indian Girl at Home and Wynema: A Child of the Forest.”, Layman Poupard Publishing, 2015.
Dean, J., Review essay on Christopher Hager, Word by Word: Emancipation and the Act of Writing; Barbara Hochman, Uncle Tom’s Cabin and the Reading Revolution; Michael Millner, Fever Reading: Affect and Reading Badly in the Early American Public Sphere; Gillian Silverman, Bodies and Books: Reading and the Fantasy of Communion in Nineteenth-Century America, American Literature, 2014.
Dean, J., Review of Kimberly A. Williams, Imagining Russia: Making Feminist Sense of American Nationalism in U.S.-Russian Relations, Russian Journal of Communication, 2013.
Dean, J., Review of Jeff Berglund and Jan Roush, eds., Sherman Alexie: A Collection of Critical Essays. , Western American Literature, 2012.
Dean, J., Review of Victoria I. Zhuravleva and Ivan I. Kurilla, eds., Russia and the United States: Mutual Representations in Textbooks, Russian Journal of Communication , 2011.
Dean, J., “Reading Lessons: Sentimental Literacy and Assimilation in Stiya: A Carlisle Indian Girl at Home and Wynema: A Child of the Forest.”, ESQ: A Journal of the American Renaissance, 2011.
Coughlin, M., Hasseler, T., Dalessio, W., Martinetti, A., Rex, N., Janice, O., Walden, E., Dean, J., “Roundtable on Teaching ‘Work’ as an Interdisciplinary First-Year College Seminar", Iowa Journal of Cultural Studies, 2010.
Dean, J., “The Violence of Collection: Indian Killer’s Archives.”, Studies in American Indian Literature , 2008.
Dean, J., “Persephone Goes West", Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007.
Dean, J., "Nameless Outrages: Narrative Authority, Rape Rhetoric, and the Dakota Conflict of 1862", American Literature, 2005.
Dean, J., “Stopping Traffic: Spectacles of Romance and Race in The Last of the Mohicans", University of Mississippi Press, 2003.
Dean, J., “Gender Calamities in a Dime Western", Greenwood Press, 2002.
Dean, J., “Searching for the New Western Literary Criticism” , Modern Fiction Studies, 2000.
Dean, J., “The Marriage Plot and National Myth in The Pioneers.”, Arizona Quarterly, 1997.
Dean, J., “Women on the Masthead.” Review of Sharon M. Harris, ed., Blue Pencils & Hidden Hands. H-Net Reviews, Humanities and Social Sciences Net On-Line,, H-Net Reviews, Humanities and Social Sciences Net On-Line, 2006.
Dean, J., “Combating the Culture of Plagiarism", Bryant Faculty Network, 2002.
Dean, J., "Noble Savage", Grolier Press, 2001.
Dean, J., Review of Valerie Sherer Mathes and Phil Brigandi, A Call for Reform: The Southern California Indian Writings of Helen Hunt Jackson , ALH On-Line Review/American Literary History, 2017.