The teaching and research provided through our department focus upon the critical interpretation, social and historical context, and creative expression of literature and culture. The department cultivates the understanding and skills critical to participation and success in a complex, multicultural and global world.
- Drea Brown - Assistant Professor
- Jeffrey Arellano Cabusao - Associate Professor
- Maura Coughlin - Professor
- Amber Day - Professor
- Janet Dean - Professor
- Cileine Izabel deLourenco - Professor
- William Graves III - Associate Professor
- Theresa A. Hasseler - Professor
- Jennifer Horan - Lecturer
- Steven Jablow - Lecturer
- Martha Kuhlman - Professor
- Matthew Neill Null - Lecturer
- Alex Perullo - Professor
- Thomas John Roach - Professor
- Elizabeth Walden - Professor
- Joan Zaretti - Lecturer
- Julie Allen
- Mary Andersen
- James Beaver
- Stephanie Carter
- Matthew Clowney
- Matthew Ellis
- Amy Foley
- Jonathan Gibbs
- Donald Holder
- Kenneth Jolicoeur
- Rebecca Karni
- Sarah Kruse
- Liliya Krys-Burhoe
- Patricia C. Lange
- David Liao
- Karen A. Maguire
- Sarah H Maitland
- Ryan Marnane
- Maureen C. Masse
- Jean M. Plunkett
- Jacob Richman
- Erich Schumacher
- Victor Wildman
Jeffrey Arellano CabusaoAssociate Professor, English and Cultural Studies
Faculty Suite F, Room 2419
MA, University of California Los Angeles
BA, Oberlin College
U.S. Ethnic Literatures, Cultural Studies Approaches to Literature and Popular Culture/Media Literacy, Critical Theory, Africana/Black Studies, American Studies, Women's Studies/Gender and Sexuality Studies
20th Century U.S. Literature (Asian American and African American Literatures), Literary and Cultural Theory, Cultural Studies, Asian American Studies, Filipino American Studies, Women's Studies, U.S. Ethnic Studies
- Critical Filipina and Filipino Studies Collective
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- East of California (EOC) Asian American Studies Network
- Working Class Studies Association (WCSA)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- 2018, Faculty Award for Outstanding Service, College of Arts and Sciences. Bryant University
- 2018, Inclusive Excellence Award, Contributing to Success. Bryant University
- 2017, Merit Award. Bryant University
- 2015, Summer Stipend. Bryant University
- 2015, Merit Award. Bryant University
- 2011, National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) Early Career Educator of Color Leadership Award
- 2010, Instructional Development Funding. Bryant University
- 2009, Merit Award. Bryant University
- 2006, Mellon Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship. Department of English, Kalamazoo College
- 2004, Rackham One-Term Dissertation Fellowship. Department of English, University of Michigan
- 2001, Graduate Committee Spring/Summer Grant. Department of English, University of Michigan
- 2000, First Year Summer Research Program Grant. University of Michigan
- 1999, Rackham Merit Fellowship. University of Michigan
- 1998, UCLA Institute of American Cultures (IAC) M.A. Thesis Grant
- 1997, Graduate Opportunity Fellowship. Asian American Studies M.A. Program, UCLA
- 1997, Highest Honors in Cross-Cultural Ethnic Studies (individual major). Oberlin College
- 1996, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Image Award. Oberlin College
- 1996, Ronald E. McNair Scholar. Oberlin College
- 1993, Wabash College Lily Award. Four Year Merit Scholarship (unable to accept)
Cabusao, J., "Filipino American Literature" in _Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature_ & OUP special project _The Oxford Encyclopedia of Asian American and Pacific Islander Literature and Culture_, Oxford University Press , 2019.
Cabusao, J., "Selected Letters of Carlos Bulosan and Suggestions for Further Exploration" in _America Is in the Heart_ by Carlos Bulosan with a foreword by Elaine Castillo and an introduction by E. San Juan, Jr., Penguin Classics Asian American Masterpieces Series. Penguin Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House, 2019.
Cabusao, J., "Teaching Roots, Gifting Wings: Vision and Practice in _Asian American Matters_", CUNY FORUM: Journal of the Asian American and Asian Research Institute, The City University of New York, 2019.
Cabusao, J. A., Viola , M. J., "From Identity Formation to Social Transformation: A Dialogue on Filipino American Studies", UNITAS Journal, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines , 2018.
Cabusao, J., "Reading Carlos Bulosan/Documenting the Filipino Diaspora: An editorial introduction to _Writer in Exile/Writer in Revolt: Critical Perspectives on Carlos Bulosan_", Kritika Kultura (Forum Kritika on Critical Crossings: Hybridity's Fissures and Ruptures edited by Maria Luisa Torres Reyes), Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City, Philippines, 2018.
Cabusao, J., "Yearning in Carlos Bulosan: Toward a Queer Working Class Consciousness", International Journal of Diaspora & Cultural Criticism (Special issue on the Philippine Diaspora edited by Maria Luisa Torres Reyes), The Center for Asia & Diaspora, Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea, 2017.
Cabusao, J., [Book Review] _The Nature of California: Race, Citizenship, and Farming since the Dust Bowl. _By Sarah D. Wald. University of Washington Press, 2016., Western American Literature, 2017.
Alquizola, M., Hiraybayashi , L. R., Cabusao, J. A., "The Bulosan Files: Another Layer in an Ongoing Dialogue" in _Writer in Exile/Writer in Revolt: Critical Perspectives on Carlos Bulosan_, University Press of America, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
Cabusao, J., _Writer in Exile/Writer in Revolt: Critical Perspectives on Carlos Bulosan_ (editor and contributor), University Press of America, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
Cabusao, J., editorial introduction to _Writer in Exile/Writer in Revolt: Critical Perspectives on Carlos Bulosan_, CUNY FORUM: Journal of the Asian American and Asian Research Institute, The City University of New York, 2016.
Cabusao, J., "Carlos Bulosan" in _Literature and Politics Today: The Political Nature of Modern Fiction, Poetry, and Drama_. Edited by M. Keith Booker , Greenwood Publishing Group, 2015.
Cabusao, J., "Ethnic Studies" in _Encyclopedia of Diversity and Social Justice_. Edited by Sherwood Thompson , Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
Cabusao, J., _Forum Kritika: Reflections on Carlos Bulosan and Becoming Filipino_ (edited with introduction -- guest editor of special edition of peer reviewed essays featured in "Kritika Kultra"), Kritika Kultura -- international refereed literary and cultural studies journal (Ateneo de Manila University) , 2014.
Cabusao, J., "Toward a Renewal of Critical Practice: Reflections on the Occupy Movement and Filipino Self Determination", Kritika Kultura, 2012.
Cabusao, J., "Decolonizing Knowledges: Asian American Studies, Carlos Bulosan, and Insurgent Filipino Diasporic Imagination", Kritika Kultura , 2011.
Cabusao, J., "The Social Responsibility of Filipino Intellectuals in the Age of Globalization and Empire: An Interview with E. San Juan, Jr. and Delia D. Aguilar", Cultural Logic , 2010.
Cabusao, J., [Book Review] _From Globalization to National Liberation: Essays of Three Decades_. By E. San Juan, Jr. The University of the Philippines Press, 2008., MELUS (Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States), 2010.
Cabusao, J., "Another World is Possible: Cultural Studies and Critical Filipino Resistance" in _Philippine Studies: Have We Gone Beyond St. Louis?_. Edited by Priscelina Patajo-Legasto , University of the Philippines Press, 2009.
Cabusao, J., [Book Review] _The Forbidden Book: The Philippine-American War in Political Cartoons._ Eds. Abe Ignacio, Enrique de la Cruz, Jorge Emmanuel, Helen Toribio. T'Boli Publishing and Distribution, 2004., Amerasia Journal , 2006.
Cabusao, J., "Carlos Bulosan" in _The Encyclopedia of Literature and Politics: Censorship, Revolution, and Writing_. Edited by M. Keith Booker , Greenwood Publishing Group , 2005.
Cabusao, J., [Book Review] _Babaylan: An Anthology of Filipina and Filipina American Writers._ Edited with introductions by Nick Carbo and Eileen Tabios. Aunt Lute Books, 2001., Amerasia Journal , 2001.