The faculty and students within our multidisciplinary department advance the study and practice of history and the social sciences through teaching, research, and outreach. Our research generates knowledge rooted in historical and social scientific approaches to the study of the human condition.
- Katayoun Alidadi - Assistant Professor
- Judy Barrett Litoff - Professor
- Andrea Boggio - Professor
- Ilisabeth Bornstein - Lecturer
- Michael Scott Bryant - Professor
- Gregg Lee Carter - Professor
- David John Ciliberto - Lecturer
- Emily Copeland - Senior Lecturer
- Kathleen L. Daly - Lecturer
- John W. Dietrich - Professor
- Sandra Lee Enos - Associate Professor
- James Roy Estey - Associate Professor
- Nicole Lynn Freiner - Associate Professor
- Colten Ward Hall - Lecturer
- Richard Holtzman - Associate Professor
- Antoine L. Joseph - Professor
- Paul Lokken - Associate Professor
- Bradford Martin - Professor
- Judith McDonnell - Professor
- Jeremy Pearson - Lecturer
- Ronald Washburn - Lecturer
- Mary Anne K. Clarke
- Ethan Dugas
- Burton Van Name Edwards
- Jeffrey Hamill
- Curtis Holland
- Gail Mohanty
- Alicia Sansone
- Shahram Shadbash
- Kristin Taylor-Costello
- Terrance N. Turner
Nicole Lynn FreinerAssociate Professor, History and Social Sciences
Faculty Suite F, Room 415
MA, Colorado State University
BA, Alfred University
Asian Politics, Politics of Japan, Environmental Politics and Policy, Global Politics, Comparative Politics
Rice Farming and Rice Policy in Japan, Agricultural Policy, Asian Politics and Policy, Gender Politics, Comparative Politics
- AAS (Association for Asian Studies)
- APSA (American Political Science Association)
- ASDP (Asian Studies Development Program)
- JSA (Japan Studies Association)
- New England Political Science Association
- Law and Society Association
- Providence Council on Foreign Relations
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
- 2017, Merit Pay Award
- 2015, Summer Scholar Award, NEH
- 2014, Merit Pay Award
- 2004, ABD Fellow
Freiner, N., Re-Telling Fukushima, Re-Shaping Citizenshp: Women Netizens in Japan, Lexington Books, 2018.
Freiner, N., Gender, Politics and the State: East Asia, Wiley Blackwell, 2016.
Freiner, N., Japan's Sacred Rice Farmers Brace for TPP Death Sentence, The Conversation, 2015.
Freiner, N., Mobilizing Mothers:The Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Catastrophe and Environmental Activism in Japan, Asia Network Exchange: A Journal for Asian Studies in the Liberal Arts, 2013.
Freiner, N., The Social and Gender Politics of Confucian Nationalism: Women and the Japanese Nation-State, Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
Freiner, N., Japan’s vote for Abe could worsen prospects for peace with North Korea, China, TheConversation.com, 2017.
Freiner, N., What China's RIMPAC Exclusion Means for US Allies, The Diplomat, 2018.
Freiner, N., Japan may have tricky time passing TPP after making concessions on rice, beef, TheConversation.com, 2015.