The faculty and students within our multidisciplinary department advance the study and practice of history and the social sciences through teaching, research, and outreach. Our research generates knowledge rooted in historical and social scientific approaches to the study of the human condition.
- Katayoun Alidadi - Assistant Professor
- Judy Barrett Litoff - Professor
- Andrea Boggio - Professor
- Ilisabeth Bornstein - Lecturer
- Michael Scott Bryant - Professor
- Gregg Lee Carter - Professor
- David John Ciliberto - Lecturer
- Emily Copeland - Senior Lecturer
- Kathleen L. Daly - Lecturer
- John W. Dietrich - Professor
- Sandra Lee Enos - Associate Professor
- James Roy Estey - Associate Professor
- Nicole Lynn Freiner - Associate Professor
- Colten Ward Hall - Lecturer
- Richard Holtzman - Associate Professor
- Antoine L. Joseph - Professor
- Paul Lokken - Associate Professor
- Bradford Martin - Professor
- Judith McDonnell - Professor
- Jeremy Pearson - Lecturer
- Ronald Washburn - Lecturer
- Mary Anne K. Clarke
- Ethan Dugas
- Burton Van Name Edwards
- Jeffrey Hamill
- Curtis Holland
- Gail Mohanty
- Alicia Sansone
- Shahram Shadbash
- Kristin Taylor-Costello
- Terrance N. Turner
Richard HoltzmanAssociate Professor, History and Social Sciences
Faculty Suite F, Room 2403
BA, University of California, San Diego
American Politics, Modern American Presidency, Political Parties and Elections, The Politics of the Government and Business in the U.S., Global Foundations of Character and Leadership
American politics, particularly focused on presidential rhetoric, political narratives, and political discourse analysis; Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Political Epistemology Section of the American Political Science Association
- Western Political Science Association
- Interpretive Methodologies and Methods Conference Group of the American Political Science Association
- Pi Kappa Alpha Political Science Honors Society
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Honors Society
- Undergraduate Education Section of the American Political Science Association
- Presidency Research Group of the American Political Science Association
- American Political Science Association
- 2018, Award for Meritorious Teaching
- 2016, Award for Meritorious Service
- 2016, Bryant Panhellenic Council Faculty Award
- 2014, Award for Meritorious Service
- 2014, Contributing to Success: Innovation Award
- 2012, Award for Meritorious Research and Scholarship
- 2012, Award for Meritorious Service
- 2012, University Award for "Outstanding Service"
- 2011, 'Outstanding Teaching in Political Science' Award
- 2011, Student Senate Choice Award for Faculty Cooperation and Support
- 2010, Award for Meritorious Service
- 2010, Award for Meritorious Teaching
- 2009, 'Outstanding Teaching in Political Science' Award
- 2009, University Award for "Excellence in Teaching"
- 2008, Award for Meritorious Teaching
Holtzman, R., Donald J. Trump Presents: The American Presidency (in progress).
Holtzman, R., Mapping Policy Issues: A Simple, Active Learning Exercise for Critical Thinking (forthcoming), PS: Political Science & Politics.
Holtzman, R., Understanding Trump's Improvisational Presidency, Utica College Center of Public Affairs and Election Research, 2018.
Holtzman, R., Using Situational Mapping to Recognize and Explore Political and Policy Complexity, American Political Science Association, 2018.
Holtzman, R., 50 Takes on Trump: Rhode Island, Utica College Center for Public Affairs and Election Research, 2017.
Holtzman, R., Political Narratives, The Academic Minute, Inside Higher Ed, 2016.
Holtzman, R., Dodge, J., Van Hulst, M., Yanow, D., What Does it Mean to Teach Interpretively?, Learning and Teaching: The International Journal of Higher Education in the Social Sciences, 2016.
Holtzman, R., "Three Lessons on Leadership, Complements of the American Presidency", Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership, Bryant University, 2014.
Holtzman, R., Review of Ernest Andrews, ed., Legacies of Totalitarian Language in the Discourse Culture of the Post-Totalitarian Era: The Case of Eastern Europe, Russia, and China, Russian Journal of Communcation/Taylor & Francis , 2014.
Holtzman, R., Review of Hudson, William E. American Democracy in Peril: Eight Challenges to America’s Future, 7th ed., The Political Science Educator/APSA , 2014.
Holtzman, R., Review of Peregrine Schwatz-Shea and Dvora Yanow, Inpterpretive Research Design: Concepts and Processes, Critical Policy Studies/Taylor and Francis, 2014.
Holtzman, R., Review of Kenneth T. Walsh, Prisoners of the White House: The Isolation of America's Presidents and the Crisis of Leadership, Polymath: An Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences Journal/Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, 2013.
Holtzman, R., “The Enduring Narrative of ‘Socialized’ Medicine: Oppositional Rhetoric and Obama’s Health Care Reform”, Itineration: Cross-Disciplinary Studies in Rhetoric, Media, and Culture, 2013.
Green, A., Holtzman, R., “Barack Obama,” “George W. Bush,” “Joseph Biden, Jr.,” and “States United to Prevent Gun Violence” (4 entries), ABC-CLIO, 2012.