Language study teaches you to think critically and analytically, and introduces you to ways in which other cultures construct thought and make meaning. Our courses integrate culture, history, literature, and other creative productions into the learning experience, and introduce you to business discourse.
- Patricia Gomez - Senior Lecturer
- Anthony Houston - Associate Professor
- Yuri V Kondratiev - Lecturer
- Elisabetta Misuraca - Lecturer
- Heather M. Moon - Lecturer
- Zhongyuan Williams - Lecturer
- Yun Xiao - Professor
- Maria Jose Abregu
- Laura Albanese
- Linda F Ausiello
- Amy Bonnici Bodah
- Ellen Conroy
- Margarita Dempsey
- Qi Dong
- Josefa Dougal
- Brittney Kondratiev
- Yuri V Kondratiev
- Jane Perry
- Karen Sweetland-Dion
Yun XiaoProfessor, Modern Language
Faculty Suite J, Room 130
MA, University of Hawaii
Advanced Chinese language courses, content-based courses in Chinese business, film, media, literature and culture; and English-taught course entitled "Understanding Contemporary China."
Second Language Acquisition, Heritage Language Learning, Chinese Linguistics, Chinese Language and Discourse
- American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages
- North American Conference of Chinese Linguistics
- International Association of Chinese Linguistics
- New England Chinese Langauge Teachers Association
- Chinese Language Teacher Association
- Research and publication award 2011-2012
- 2017, Bryant Merit Award
- 2012, Bryant Merit Award 2012
- 2005, President's Professional Development Fund
- 1989, Asian Pacific Scholarship
Xiao, Y., Chinese Education in the United States: Players and Challenges, De Gruyter Mouton, Global Chinese: An international and interdisciplinary journal of the Chinese language and its users worldwide,《全球华语研究》, 2016.
Xiao, Y., The Rise of Catchword “被bei-XX:” Grammaticalization and Reanalysis, Journal of Chinese as a Second Language, John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2016.
Xiao, Y., Chinese Discourse from Diverse Perspectives: An introduction.
Xiao, Y., Current studies in Chinese language and discourse.
Xiao, Y., New Words in Contemporary Chinese Language Use: Linguistic Features and Formation Processes.
Xiao, Y., Confucius institutes in the US: Platform, Global Chinese , 2017.
Xiao, y., Chinese as a Heritage Language, 2017.
Xiao, Y., The Rise of Chinese Internet Language: Product and Agent of Globalization at Below, Global Chinese: An international and interdisciplinary journal of the Chinese language and its users worldwide, 2015.
Xiao, Y., Heritage Language Education in the U.S.: The Chinese Case, Routledge, 2014.
Xiao, Y., Effect of home background on advanced heritage language learning, CASLAR (Journal of Chinese as a Second Language Research), 2013.
Xiao, Y., Chinese in the USA, Cambridge University Press, 2010.